Tuesday, 1 May 2012

MBFWA: Day One

The first day of Mercedes-Benz Australian Fashion Week dawned rain-free and unseasonably warm, much to my joy, as I had decided to wear a shorts suit. 





Shorts suit: Manning Cartell  |  T-shirt: Hurley  |  Boots: Siren  |  Watch: Chanel  |  Ring: Colette  | Sunglasses: Oliver Peoples

First up was kaftan queen Camilla, with a "jet-setting gypsy" aesthetic inspired by pioneering nomads such as Bob Dylan, Veruschka and Frida Kahlo. 
{I must say at this point that I am not a bonafide fashion journalist, nor do I claim to be; I run this blog simply to share things that I enjoy and think are pretty and/or interesting. Also, I am extremely tired from today and may or may not have gone vaguely loopy.} 
Here are some photos!



I must have this cray cray sequinned shift!


       
Camilla takes her bow...
 
... as do a gaggle of Camilla-clad kiddies!

Next, my date Alex and I headed up to The Box for the Dylan Cooper show, which turned out to be more of an "installation" than a show. Didn't really get a great look at this one as we had been told to wait in the wrong queue (it always takes a day or two for all of the the kinks to be ironed out at Fashion Week!) and were running late for the next show, but there were some lovely, well-made pieces. Hello, hot pink suit!




       
Miss Unkon was next, all floaty white and blue with the occasional pop of neon pink. The finale dress was a stunner.




Beautiful finale dress with ornate neon pink embroidery


A dash through the city was then in order, for the Manning Cartell show was to be held in Darlinghurst's quaint Scotts Church Building. The collection, entitled 'Absent Portait' was inspired by Frida Kahlo (gurrrl sure is popular this year) and the symbols depicted in her art, such as flowers, birds, ribbons and necklaces. It was quite a departure from the collections I have come to expect from Manning Cartell, but still very beautiful and wearable. Unfortunately, the lighting and seating were not conducive to adequate photography, so my pictures are absolutely terrible! You have been warned.

Bamboo print party with Nikki






These trousers are simply delightful.





Finally, back at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, 'The City' alumni Whitney Port presented her two collections, WE by Whitney Eve and Whitney Eve. This show too was held in The Box and proved very popular so, again, my photos are not brazilliant. 

WE by Whitney Eve


Whitney Eve



   
And so ended day one of MBFWA. For more frequent updates, follow me on Instagram (@AprilRPengilly) or Twitter (@AprilRPengilly). Nighty night!

April xx

2 comments:

  1. Great wrap-up, April! I loved your MC shorts suit by the way! I spotted you in line for a few shows, you looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I hope you enjoyed the rest of the week. xx

      Delete