Wednesday, 15 April 2015

MBFWA 2015: day one

Bec & Bridge

Bec & Bridge

Aje.

Aje.

Aje.

Daniel Avakian

Daniel Avakian

Daniel Avakian

Daniel Avakian

Daniel takes his bow


JACKET, SKIRT & TANK: Bec & Bridge  |  HANDBAG: Cartier |  HEELS: Sergio Rossi  |  WATCH: Tag Heuer  |  SUNGLASSES: Ray-Ban  |  DIAMOND STUDS: Tiffany and Co.

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia is here once more! I have a long history with the event: back in my modelling days, I walked for shows in 2006 and 2007, even closing a number of them. Come 2008, I had made a name for myself in the industry and was honoured to switch to the front row, (which is a lot less stressful than walking in the shows!). Over the years, the event has changed sponsors (from Mercedes-Benz to Rosemount and back again) and locations (from the Overseas Passenger Terminal in picturesque Sydney Harbour to the parking nightmare that is Eveleigh's Carriageworks - seriously, it's taken me 25 minutes to park every day!) and, perhaps the biggest of all, attendees. The shows are now packed with bloggers, giving brands instantaneous press and peacocking for the streetstyle photographers (who ironically began as bloggers themselves). While I wholeheartedly support those who are talented and work hard for changing the game and establishing themselves, the beast has grown and morphed, meaning that there are now many bloggers who aren't particularly reputable, hard-working or flush with real Followers (it's apparently all too easy to purchase an impressive-looking following these days) receiving benefits and kudos that should perhaps be reserved for the real gamechangers. It must be said that I'm certainly not attempting to talk myself up as a trailblazer or anything of the sort, as I don't feel that I belong in either camp - I'm an actress with a personal style blog on the side to keep me from going insane - but I have merely noticed a real change in Australia's annual fashion bonanza. This year, in fact, there has actually been far less peacocking and a lot more casual dressing paired with unkempt, undone hair. I'm attributing this  firstly to Instagram's prevalence, which means that if you're spending MBFWA dressed very differently, it takes mere seconds for someone to look up your IG and peg you as a phoney. Secondly, dressing flamboyantly for the streetstyle photographers shows that you care too much and are probably new to/unfamiliar with the event. And nobody wants that! #effortless #nomakeup
With my rant over, on to the good stuff! On day one, I saw a couple of my favourites: Bec & Bridge, Aje. and Daniel Avakian. I am lucky to call Daniel a friend and was so proud of and excited for his triumphant return to Fashion Week after almost a decade away. His show went spectacularly and I nearly teared up when he took his final bow (honestly, it doesn't take much to get me teary!).
I'm now off to catch Manning Cartell on day three of MBFWA, but I'll be sure to upload everything from day two very soon!

April xx

No comments:

Post a Comment